Tag

Beer, Wine and Spirits. Tastings and Travel. News and Events. Classic Flavors from Breweries, Wineries and Distilleries Across the Drinks World.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Trip to the River





The St. Lawrence River as it runs through the Thousand Islands is a special place for me. The spot along the New York and Ontario border was where I'd go for a week or two each summer to fish with my Dad. It's also the spot where I met my wife, Sandy. It is one of the most beautiful places on Earth, as inviting in the summer as it is formidable during the winter. I once woke up on a winter's morning in Alexandria Bay to discover it was 42 degrees below zero -- before they applied the wind chill factor!

Last week Sandy and I were lucky enough to visit family on Wellesley Island along the St. Lawrence. We were the guests of Barron and Bette Boyd and got a chance to catch up with several members of the Salvagno clan. I brought some beer from the southeast and some whiskey samples obtained during recent magazine article and blog entry tastings for all to enjoy. We even made a side trip one day to Kingston to buy some Canadian beer -- Molson Stock Ale, Waterloo Dark Beer and St. Ambroise McAuslan Oatmeal Stout were imported safely into the U.S. -- and to stop at Kingston Brewing Co.

The highlight of the visit was the chance to catch up with everyone and do nothing more than watch the river traffic pass by with a beer close at hand. That's the way all summer days should be spent.

No comments: