Tag

Beer, Wine and Spirits. Tastings and Travel. News and Events. Classic Flavors from Breweries, Wineries and Distilleries Across the Drinks World.

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Waffle or Sugar Cone? Two Scoops or One? I Need to See Your ID Before I Put Sprinkles on That Cone


The first real job I ever had growing up in Upstate New York was at Peter's Polar Parlor, an ice cream stand in Fairmount, just west of Syracuse. I can state for a fact that no one ever got drunk from anything we served out the window. I'm sure the same is true for Thortons in the United Kingdom, but that does not matter. They have banned the sale of rum raisin ice cream to anyone under 18 years old.

I know what you are thinking: (a) Wow they must have some really juiced up rum raisin concoction; and (b) I wonder if I have enough frequent flyer miles to escape the heat wave cutting across the U.S. and visit a Thortons.

Hold on a second. The alcohol content of Thortons rum raisin is just 0.7 per cent, or 0.2 per cent above the level to be classed as 'non-alcoholic' under England's Licensing Act 2003.

According to media reports on the ban it would take 28 scoops of Thortons rum raisin ice cream to equal the alcohol content of a pint of beer. It sounds like any 16 year old looking to catch a buzz would encounter brain freeze long before intoxication. For its part, Thortons says it is looking to reformulate the flavor to reduce the alcohol content below 0.5 percent.

No comments: