The prostate cancer awareness event takes place in Colorado during the same weekend as the Great American Beer Festival. The Denver Rare Beer Tasting VIII features the chance to sample rare, exotic and vintage beers from some of America’s top craft breweries and the opportunity to meet the men and women who made them.
“The 54 craft brewers taking part in the Denver Rare Beer Tasting VIII are bringing some truly rare, exotic and vintage beers to help us reach men through the universal language of beer,” said Rick Lyke, founder of Pints for Prostates. “Ticket holders will enjoy an amazing once-in-a-lifetime collection of brews.”
Brewers have committed to pour the following beers at the event:
- Adelbert’s Brewing, Austin, Texas*, Scratchin' Hippo - Barrel 106;
- Alaskan Brewing, Juneau, Alaska, Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Smoked Porter;
- Allagash Brewing, Portland, Maine, Coolship Resurgam;
- AleSmith Brewing, San Diego, Calif, Port Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy;
- Avery Brewing, Boulder, Colo., Scarlata Cucumis;
- Bayou Teche Brewing, Arnaudville, La.*, Legacies Lager;
- Bell’s Brewing, Kalamazoo, Mich., Le Bretteur;
- Big Sky Brewing, Missoula, Mont., 2015 Barrel Aged Ivan The Terrible Imperial Stout;
- Boggy Draw Brewery, Sheridan, Colo.*, Gangsta of Love and Bourbon Cowboy;
- Boston Beer, Boston, Mass., Samuel Adams 2010 Wee Heavy and Utopias Barrel-Aged with Cherries;
- The Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn, N.Y., Lamorak;
- Call to Arms Brewery, Denver, Colo.*, Shirtless Putin Nuzzling With Dolphins and Frightened Baby Chipmunk;
- Cascade Brewing, Portland, Ore., Crazy Navel and Kentucky Peach;
- Casey Brewing & Blending, Glenwood Springs, Colo., Casey Family Preserve: Attika Cherry;
- Central Waters Brewing, Amherst, Wisc., 2015 Black Gold;
- Cigar City Brewing, Tampa, Fla., Double Barrel Aged Hunahpu's Imperial Stout;
- Coronado Brewing, Coronado, Calif. *, 2014 Brandy Barrel-Aged Punk’in Drublic;
- Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore., Black Butte XXII;
- Ecliptic Brewing, Portland, Ore., Rye Barrel-Aged UltraViolet Blackberry Sour Ale;
- Elevation Beer Company, Poncha Springs, Colo., Elevated PSA Wheat Wine;
- Empire Brewing, Cazenovia, N.Y.*, Golden Dragon;
- Fonta Flora Brewery, Morganton, N.C.*, Razzmatazz: Remix;
- Foothills Brewing, Winston-Salem, N.C., Dead & Berried Bourbon Barrel-Aged Blackberry Imperial Stout;
- Fort Collins Brewery, Fort Collins, Colo., Such a Fine Girl: Brandy Barrel-Aged Peach Wheat Wine;
- Fremont Brewing, Seattle, Wash., Rusty Nail and The Lamb;
- Funky Buddha Brewing, Oakland Park, Fla., Barrel-Aged Chocwork Orange;
- Gigantic Brewing, Portland, Ore.*, Brain Damage;
- Great Divide Brewing, Denver, Colo., Laws Whiskey Barrel Aged Yeti Imperial Stout;
- Haw River Farmhouse Ales, Saxapahaw, N.C.*, Saxy Machismo, Darius the Giant and Brah'klava;
- Holy City Brewing, Charleston, S.C., Schmetterling;
- Hoppin’ Frog Brewing, Akron, Ohio, 2011 B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal Imperial Stout and 2012 Natasha Rocks America Chocolate-Rye Imperial Stout;
- Joseph James Brewing, Henderson, Nev.*, Sour Split;
- Jester King Brewery, Austin, Texas, Omniscience & Proselytism;
- Lawson’s Finest Liquids, Warren, Vt.*, Maple Tripple Ale and Sip of Sunshine IPA;
- The Lost Abbey, San Marcos, Calif., Duck Duck Gooze;
- MKE Brewing, Milwaukee, Wisc.*, Gin Barrel Aged O-Gii;
- Nebraska Brewing, Papillion, Neb., Sallyweiss;
- New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, Colo., Cherry Whiskey Sour;
- NoDa Brewing, Charlotte, N.C., Stop Collaborate and Glisten and Rum Barrel Aged Double Chocolate Vanilla Bean Monstro Imperial Stout;
- NXNW Restaurant and Brewery, Austin, Texas, Tilted Tickets;
- Odyssey Beerwerks, Arvada, Colo.*, Quadratic Reality;
- Portland Brewing, Portland, Ore.*, Gin Barrel-Aged Spine Tingler;
- Prairie Artisan Ales, Tulsa, Okla., Sherry Bomb!;
- River North Brewery, Denver, Colo., Funk the Man #1;
- Rogue Ales, Newport, Ore., Rolling Thunder Imperial Stout;
- Russian River Brewing, Santa Rosa, Calif., Intinction;
- Saint Arnold Brewing, Houston, Texas*, Bishop’s Barrel 13;
- Sierra Nevada Brewing, Chico, Calif., Trip in the Woods Maple Scotch Ale;
- Stone Brewing, Escondido, Calif., Imperial Irish Stout in Bourbon Barrels;
- Surly Brewing, Minneapolis, Minn., Rye Whiskey Pentagram and Misanthrope;
- Two Roads Brewing, Strafford, Conn.*, Hexotic Tropical Lambic Style Ale;
- WeldWerks Brewing, Greeley, Colo.*, Coconut Medianoche;
- Weyerbacher Brewing, Easton, Pa., Brunicorn III: Blackberry;
- Yazoo Brewing, Nashville, Tenn., Funk Fest '16 and Deux Rouges Cassis.
(* Indicates first appearance at Denver Rare Beer Tasting.)
Breweries bring some of their rarest brews to the annual tasting. A list of beers served during the first seven years is available on the Pints for Prostates website. Seventeen breweries will be pouring beer at the event for the first time, while eight breweries have participated in all of the Denver Rare Beer Tastings. Breweries representing 24 states are on the list.
In addition to the beer and silent auction donations made by participating breweries, the Denver Rare Beer Tasting VIII is being sponsored in part by DRAFT Magazine, with logistical support from MicroStar. Additional sponsorship packages are available for companies that wish to take part in this boutique tasting.
VIP tickets for the event sold out in about one hour. A very limited number of General admission tickets are still available for $115 for the 1-4 p.m. tasting. Each attendee receives a commemorative tasting glass, t-shirt, program and pen. A buffet lunch is included in the ticket price and guests will have the chance to bid in an exciting silent auction that includes a variety of unique beer experiences and collectibles. During the event, attendees can also participate in the Brewers Health Initiative, a free men’s health screening.
All Denver Rare Beer Tasting ticket holders will be entered into a drawing for a 9-night BeerTrips.com organized tour for two to England. VIP ticket holders will receive three raffle tickets and general admission ticket holders will receive one ticket. Anyone wearing a Pints for Prostates t-shirt or hat to the event will receive another free entry for the drawing. Additional tickets will be available for a donation. The winner will be drawn during the event from tickets collected exclusively at the Denver Rare Beer Tasting. The winner and a guest will travel to England in August 2017 on a trip that includes roundtrip airfare from the continental U.S., 9 nights hotel, ground transportation, brewery tours, pub crawls, guided city tours, 9 breakfasts, 4 beer lunches and 4 beer dinners.
“The Denver Rare Beer Tasting is a celebration of beer passion. Pints for Prostates is fortunate to have the generous support of so many fine breweries,” said Lyke. “It is a fun afternoon and a great atmosphere, with a serious mission: raising awareness about prostate cancer.”
Pints for Prostates is a 501(c)3 non-profit charity and all net proceeds from Denver Rare Beer Tasting go towards the group’s awareness mission and help to fund the education and support programs of the Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education and Support Network, and free prostates cancer screening programs provided by the Prostate Conditions Education Council.
About Pints for Prostates
Pints for Prostates reaches men through the universal language of beer to encourage them to take charge of their health. The group was founded by prostate cancer survivor and beer writer Rick Lyke in 2008. The grassroots effort raises awareness among men about the importance of regular men’s health screenings by making appearances at beer festivals, social networking and pro bono advertising. According to the National Cancer Institute, approximately 233,000 new prostate cancer cases are diagnosed annually in the U.S. More information is available at www.pintsforprostates.org. Pints for Prostates also has a presence on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@pints4prostates).