Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Princeton Review 2009 Stone Cold Sober Schools
The Princeton Review publishes a ton of rankings each year. Since the Top Party Schools list gets a bunch of media attention and hits on my blog, here is my contribution to the journalistic ethic of fair and balanced reporting.
This list of the top 20 Stone Cold Sober Schools for 2009 includes the four military academies, along with some schools that have religious ties. Comparing the list of "Party" and "Sober" schools suggests that the student body desire to imbibe goes up in direct correlation to the number of times the school's football team appears each year in the highlights on ESPN's Sports Center.
Stone Cold Sober Schools:
1. Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.
2. Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.
3. U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn.
4. College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout, Mo.
5. Grove City College, Grove City, Pa.
6. U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
7. U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.
8. Wellesley College, Wellesley, Mass.
9. Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, Calif.
10. Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Mich.
11. U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
12. Wesleyan College, Macon, Ga.
13. Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, Mass.
14. City University of New York-Queens College, Flushing, N.Y.
15. Webb Institute, Glen Cove, N.Y.
16. Berea College, Berea, Ky.
17. Agnes Scott College, Decatur, Ga.
18. City University of New York-Baruch College, New York.
19. Simmons College, Boston.
20. Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, Pa.