According to The Guardian, an English newspaper, there are now 500 microbreweries around the United Kingdom and the trend reflects a counter balance to the much reported "death of the British pub."
The Guardian recently issued a list of the top 10 U.K. brewpubs. The list has received some passionate feedback from readers.
One eyeopener is there are no London brewpubs on the list. The closest is around 40 miles away. When I stop to think of trying to construct a list of the top 10 brewpubs in the U.S. it would be difficult seeing one from New York, Los Angeles or Chicago cracking that elite ranking. Piece Brewery & Pizzeria in the Windy City probably has the best credentials and wins its share of awards, but perhaps there is something about big cities and brewpubs that we share with the British.
The Guardian's Top 10 U.K. Brewpubs
1. The Masons Arms in Headington, Oxford
2. Fox and Crown in Old Basford, Nottingham
3. The Brunswick Inn in Derby, Derbyshire
4. Sair Inn, Linthwaite, West Yorkshire
5. The Moulin Arms in Perthshire, Scotland
6. Swan on the Green in Maidstone, Kent
7. Burton Bridge Inn in Burton upon Trent, Staffs
8. Dark Star Brewery – Evening Star Brighton in Brighton, Brighton and Hove
9. The Watermill in Ings, Cumbria
10. The Old Cannon Brewery in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk