Tag

Beer, Wine and Spirits. Tastings and Travel. News and Events. Classic Flavors from Breweries, Wineries and Distilleries Across the Drinks World.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 76 Drink: Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Full Stout


It's St. Patrick's Day, so it's time for Irish stout.

When I was in Dublin last summer, I was lucky enough to go on a pub crawl with Irish beer writer John Duffy. He introduced me to the Porterhouse in the Temple Bar area. During the remainder of my visit I hit another Porterhouse location and also found my way back to the Temple Bar location. This is a great brewpub and I was thrilled to hear that B. United International is now importing the brand.

Founded in 1996, the Porterhouse brews a solid line up of beers, including an Oyster Stout, Chocolate Truffle Stout and Porterhouse Plain Porter. My favorite was the Wrasslers XXXX Full Stout at the Temple Bar location. This is a rich classic dry stout. Plenty of roasted grain with a good hop kick in the finish. Wrasslers is 5 percent alcohol by volume and is brewed from a recipe that was once made near Cork during the early 1900s. It was said to be the Irish independence leader Michael Collins' regular drink.

No comments: