Wednesday, September 01, 2010
September is National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
September is National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. As a prostate cancer survivor, I'm urging all men to know the facts about this disease because visiting your doctor for an annual health screening and a simple PSA blood test can save your life.
Did You Know…
• The National Cancer Institute predicts 218,000 American men will hear the words “you have prostate cancer” during 2010 – that’s more than 4,000 per week.
• There are 25,000 more cases of prostate cancer diagnosed annually in the U.S. than new breast cancer cases, yet prostate cancer is rarely talked about.
• More than 32,000 American men will die from prostate cancer this year. These are our fathers, sons, brothers, husbands, friends, colleagues and neighbors.
• One in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during their lifetime.
• Dennis Hopper, Jerry Orbach, Timothy Leary, Bill Bixby, Frank Zappa, Merv Griffin, Telly Savalas, Dan Fogelberg and Johnny Ramone all died from prostate cancer.
• Harry Belafonte, Sen. Robert Dole, Arnold Palmer, Rudy Giuliani, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Roger Moore, Nelson Mandela, Colin Powell, Joe Torre, John Kerry, Norman Schwarzkopf and Robert DeNiro are all prostate cancer survivors.
• African American males and men with a family history of prostate cancer are more likely to contract the disease.
• The Blue Ribbon is the symbol of prostate cancer awareness and the desire to find a cure for this deadly disease.
• America’s prostate cancer organizations recommend that men in high risk groups start annual prostate health screenings and PSA testing at 35 years old and suggest all men start getting tested at age 40.
• Annual prostate health screenings and the use of the PSA (prostate specific antigen) Test, along with improved treatments, have reduced the death rate from prostate cancer by approximately 40 percent in the past 15 years.
Since 2008, Pints for Prostates has been reaching men through the universal language of beer. We have events planned around the country during September and more are being added. Check out www.pintsforprostates.org for a complete calendar listing.
If you cannot get out to one of the events, there are two other ways to get involved with Pints for Prostates. In conjunction with LD Carlson, we have launched the Brewer’s Best PSA IPA homebrew ingredient kit. In cooperation with the Rare Beer of the Month Club and Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales, a very limited release beer has been created to raise awareness, Jolly Pumpkin Biere De Goord. Both of these efforts raise funds to fight prostate cancer. More importantly, these projects are aimed at getting men think about their health and schedule a check up.
Tell all the guys you know over 40 years old that it is just this simple: 1. Get tested. 2. Live longer. 3. Drink more beer.