Wicked Weed Brewing and Pints for Prostates have announced a partial list of beers that invited breweries plan to pour at Funk Asheville: A Gathering of Wild & Sour Beers.
“We appreciate the great breweries that have committed to supply beer for this event and help us reach men through the universal language of beer,” said Rick Lyke, Founder of Pints for Prostates. “This will be one of the best selections of wild and sour beers to be found in a single event in the southeast during 2014.”
- 4 Hands Brewing, St. Louis, Mo., Cuvee Ange, Cuvee Diable and Passion Fruit Prussia Berliner Weisse.
- 7venth Sun Brewing, Dunedin, Fla., TBD.
- Allagash Brewing, Portland, Maine, Mattina Rossa and Golden Brett.
- Anderson Valley Brewing, Boonville, Calif., The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose.
- Avery Brewing, Boulder, Colo., Rufus Corvus.
- Boulevard Brewing, Kansas City, Mo., Saison-Brett and Love Child No. 4.
- Cascade Brewing, Portland, Ore., TBD.
- Cigar City Brewing, Tampa, Fla., Illuminating the Path.
- Crooked Stave Brewing, Denver, Colo., Vielle Artisanal Saison, St. Bretta Winter and St. Bretta Spring.
- Fonta Flora Brewery, Morganton, N.C., Vestige Bloom.
- Green Bench Brewing, St. Petersburg, Fla., TBD.
- Green Man Brewing, Asheville, N.C., Flanders-style Brown Ale.
- Haw River Farmhouse Ales, Saxpahaw, N.C., Joke & Dagger and Rusted Plow Farmhouse Saison.
- Mystery Brewing, Hillsborough, N.C., TBD.
- Natty Greene’s Brewing, Greensboro, N.C., American Sour, Oude Kriek, Sorghum Lambic, Sake Lambic, Sorachi Brett Belgo IPA, Farmhouse Surette and Meerts Lambic.
- New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, Colo., TBD.
- Oskar Blues Brewing, Brevard, N.C., MILF (Mama I’d Lacto Ferment).
- Perennial Artisan Ales, St. Louis, Mo., La Bohème.
- Stillwater Artisanal Ales, Baltimore, Md., Premium and Gose Gone Wild.
- Stone Brewing, Escondido, Calif., Stone Tiger Cub Saison aged in Red Wine Barrels and Stone Cali Belgique IPA aged in Red Wine Barrels.
- Trophy Brewing, Raleigh, N.C., Loner Berliner Weisse and Rose Gose.
- Wicked Weed Brewing, Asheville, N.C., 2013 Serenity, Oblivion Sour Red, Genesis, Black Angel, Bretticent, Passiflora Blanc, Divergence, Le Peche Blanc, Indulgence, Medora, Amorous and 2013 Vigilance.
- Wrecking Bar, Atlanta, Ga., Flanders Red and Hibiscus Gose.
- Yazoo Brewing, Nashville, Tenn., 2014 Brett Saison.
The event will be held May 30 from 7-10 p.m. at the Wicked Weed Funkitorium, a new 12,000-square-foot barrel aging facility located at 147 Coxe Ave. The event is part of the 3rd Annual Asheville Beer WeekTM and will bring some of America’s top brewers of barrel-aged sour beers to the city.
“We are excited to use Funk Asheville to introduce our new Funkitorium to Asheville,” said Walt Dickinson, Head of Brewing and Wood Cellar Manager at Wicked Weed Brewing. “Our barrel aging facility will have a tasting room that will be open to the public. Funk Asheville will be the first event we will hold at the Funkitorium.”
Tickets for Funk Asheville are $80 with a $5 service charge via Etix. VIP tickets for the event have already sold out. The event includes beer samples, food provided by Wicked Weed, music, art and the opportunity to hang with the brewers. A silent auction benefiting Pints for Prostates will be held featuring unique beer experiences and collectible items.
About Wicked Weed Brewing
Wicked Weed Brewing is an Asheville, N.C., based brewpub that consistently hosts 20+ beers on tap including hop forward, West Coast style ales, open fermented Belgians, and barrel aged sour beers. Opened in December 2012, Wicked Weed is striving towards becoming the largest producer of barrel aged beers in the Southeastern U.S. Wicked Weed Brewing was awarded a Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival for 100% Brettanomyces Serenity Farmhouse Ale in 2013. In addition to Serenity, Wicked Weed is known for producing Freak of Nature Double IPA, Coolcumber Ale, Tyrant Double Red Ale, Hopburglar Blood Orange IPA, Dark Age Bourbon Stout and Black Angel Cherry Sour. Most recently, Wicked Weed began small scale statewide distribution of kegs as well as bottles of barrel aged sour beers to major metropolitans in North Carolina. Learn more at www.wickedweedbrewing.com and on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WickedWeedBrewing.
About Pints for Prostates
Pints for Prostates reaches men through the universal language of beer to encourage them to take charge of their health. The group was founded by prostate cancer survivor and beer writer Rick Lyke in 2008. The grassroots effort raises awareness among men of the importance of prostate health screenings by making appearances at beer festivals, social networking and pro bono advertising. According to the National Cancer Institute, 233,000 American men will be diagnosed with the disease this year and 29,480 will die from prostate cancer. More information is available at www.pintsforprostates.org. Pints for Prostates also has a presence on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (@pints4prostates).